White Goods Disposal Tax.
§ 105-187.20. Definitions.
The definitions in G.S. 105-164.3 apply to this Article, except that the term "sale" does not include lease or rental, and the following definition applies to this Article:
(1) Repealed by Session Laws 2005-435, s. 35, effective September 27, 2005.
(2) White goods. - Defined in G.S. 130A-290(a). (1993, c. 471, s. 3; 1998-24, s. 7; 2000-109, s. 9(a); 2005-435, s. 35.)
A privilege tax is imposed on a white goods retailer at a flat rate for each new white good that is sold by the retailer. An excise tax is imposed on a new white good purchased for storage, use, or consumption in this State. The rate of the privilege tax and the excise tax is three dollars ($3.00). These taxes are in addition to all other taxes. (1993, c. 471, s. 3; 1998-24, ss. 1, 7; 2000-109, s. 9(a); 2016-5, s. 3.20(a).)
The privilege tax this Article imposes on a white goods retailer is an additional State sales tax and the excise tax this Article imposes on the storage, use, or consumption of a new white good in this State is an additional State use tax. Except as otherwise provided in this Article, these taxes shall be collected and administered in the same manner as the State sales and use taxes imposed by Article 5 of this Chapter. As under Article 5 of this Chapter, the additional State sales tax paid when a new white good is sold at retail is a credit against the additional State use tax imposed on the storage, use, or consumption of the same white good. (1993, c. 471, s. 3; 1998-24, s. 7; 2000-109, s. 9(a).)
§ 105-187.23. Exemptions and refunds.
(a) Exemptions. - Except for the exemption for sales a state cannot constitutionally tax, the exemptions allowed in Article 5 of this Chapter do not apply to the taxes imposed by this Article.
(b) Refunds. - The refunds allowed in Article 5 of this Chapter do not apply to the taxes imposed by this Article. A person who buys at least 50 new white goods of any kind in the same sale or purchase may obtain a refund equal to sixty percent (60%) of the amount of tax imposed by this Article on the white goods when all of the white goods purchased are to be placed in new or remodeled dwelling units that are located in this State and do not contain the kind of white goods purchased. To obtain a refund, a person must file an application for a refund with the Secretary. The application must contain the information required by the Secretary, be signed by the purchaser of the white goods, and be submitted by the date set by the Secretary. (1993, c. 471, s. 3; 1998-24, s. 7; 2000-109, s. 9(a); 2003-416, s. 19(b); 2010-166, s. 3.5.)
§ 105-187.24. Use of tax proceeds.
The Secretary shall distribute the taxes collected under this Article, less the Department of Revenue's allowance for administrative expenses, in accordance with this section. The Secretary may retain the Department's cost of collection, not to exceed four hundred twenty-five thousand dollars ($425,000) a year, as reimbursement to the Department.
Each quarter, the Secretary shall credit twenty-eight percent (28%) of the net tax proceeds to the General Fund. The Secretary shall distribute the remaining seventy-two percent (72%) of the net tax proceeds among the counties on a per capita basis according to the most recent annual population estimates certified to the Secretary by the State Budget Officer. The Department shall not distribute the tax proceeds to a county when notified not to do so by the Department of Environmental Quality under G.S. 130A-309.87. If a county is not entitled to a distribution, the proceeds allocated for that county will be credited to the White Goods Management Account.
A county may use funds distributed to it under this section only as provided in G.S. 130A-309.82. A county that receives funds under this section and that has an interlocal agreement with another unit of local government under which the other unit provides for the disposal of solid waste for the county must transfer the amount received under this section to that other unit. A unit to which funds are transferred is subject to the same restrictions on use of the funds as the county. (1993, c. 471, s. 3; 1993 (Reg. Sess., 1994), c. 769, s. 15.1(b); 1998-24, ss. 2, 7; 2000-109, s. 9(a); 2004-203, s. 5(i); 2007-323, s. 24.1; 2013-360, s. 14.17(a); 2015-241, s. 14.30(u).)
§§ 105-187.25 through 105-187.29. Reserved for future codification purposes.