GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA
SESSION LAW 2023-1
HOUSE BILL 27
AN ACT to change the thomasville city board of education from appointed members to elected members.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. Beginning in 2023, the Thomasville City Board of Education (Board) shall be composed of five members elected to staggered four‑year terms.
SECTION 2. Members of the Board shall be elected in each odd‑numbered year in accordance with the nonpartisan plurality method with results determined as provided for in G.S. 163‑292. The election shall be held on the date provided by G.S. 163‑279 for nonpartisan plurality elections. Candidates shall file a notice of candidacy with the county board of elections under the same schedule provided by G.S. 163‑294.2. The names of the candidates shall be printed on the ballots without reference to any party affiliation, and any qualified voter residing in the Thomasville City Schools Administrative Unit shall be eligible to vote for all candidates. Except as provided by this act, the election shall be conducted in accordance with the applicable provisions of Chapter 163 of the General Statutes.
SECTION 3. Members of the Board shall be elected as follows:
(1) For the 2023 election, two members shall be elected to a two‑year term and three members shall be elected to serve a four‑year term. The three candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall be elected to serve a four‑year term. The two candidates receiving the next highest number of votes shall be elected to a two‑year term.
(2) In 2025, and every four years thereafter, two members shall be elected to serve a four‑year term.
(3) In 2027, and every four years thereafter, three members shall be elected to serve a four‑year term.
SECTION 4. Members shall take office at the first regular meeting of the Board in December following the election, and the terms of their predecessors shall expire at that same time. Members shall serve until a successor has been elected and qualified. Vacancies for positions elected on the Board shall be filled in accordance with G.S. 115C‑37(f).
SECTION 5. The terms of appointed members serving at the time of the effective date of this act shall expire upon the qualification of members elected to the Board in 2023.
SECTION 6. The following acts are repealed:
(1) Section 8 of Chapter 262 of the Private Laws of 1901.
(2) Chapter 88 of the 1965 Session Laws.
(3) Section 504 of Article V of the Charter of the City of Thomasville as enacted by Chapter 211 of the 1981 Session Laws.
SECTION 7. Except as otherwise provided, this act is effective when it becomes law and applies to elections conducted on or after that date.
In the General Assembly read three times and ratified this the 9th day of March, 2023.
s/ Phil Berger
President Pro Tempore of the Senate
s/ Tim Moore
Speaker of the House of Representatives