GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA
SESSION LAW 2019-34
HOUSE BILL 179
AN ACT TO AMEND THE MOTOR VEHICLE LAWS OF THE STATE TO regulate mini‑trucks.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:
SECTION 1. G.S. 20‑4.01(27) is amended by adding a new sub‑subdivision to read:
"g1. Mini‑truck. – A motor vehicle designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property and having four wheels, an engine displacement of 660cc or less, an overall length of 130 inches or less, an overall height of 78 inches or less, and an overall width of 60 inches or less."
SECTION 2. G.S. 20‑87(12) reads as rewritten:
Vehicles and Mini‑Trucks. – The fee for a low‑speed
vehicle or mini‑truck is the same as the fee for private passengers
passenger vehicles of not more than 15 passengers. However, the
fee for any low‑speed vehicle or mini‑truck that is offered for
rent shall be the same as the fee for a U‑drive‑it automobile."
SECTION 3. G.S. 20‑121.1 reads as rewritten:
"§ 20‑121.1. Operation of a low‑speed vehicle or mini‑truck on certain roadways.
The operation of a low‑speed vehicle or mini‑truck is authorized with the following restrictions:
(1) A low‑speed vehicle may be operated only on streets and highways where the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. A mini‑truck may be operated only on streets and highways where the posted speed limit is 55 miles per hour or less. This does not prohibit a low‑speed vehicle or mini‑truck from crossing a road or street at an intersection where the road or street being crossed has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour.
(2) A low‑speed vehicle or mini‑truck shall be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, tail lamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, windshield wipers, speedometer, seat belts, and a vehicle identification number. Any such required equipment shall be maintained in proper working order.
(3) A low‑speed vehicle or mini‑truck shall be registered and insured in accordance with G.S. 20‑50 and G.S. 20‑309.
(4) The Department of Transportation may prohibit the operation of low‑speed vehicles or mini‑trucks on any road or highway if it determines that the prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety.
(5) Low‑speed vehicles must comply with the safety standards in 49 C.F.R. § 571.500.
(6) Regardless of age, a mini‑truck shall not qualify as an antique vehicle or historic vehicle as described in G.S. 20‑79.4(b)."
SECTION 4. This act is effective when it becomes law.
In the General Assembly read three times and ratified this the 13th day of June, 2019.
s/ Daniel J. Forest
President of the Senate
s/ Tim Moore
Speaker of the House of Representatives
s/ Roy Cooper
Approved 2:28 p.m. this 21st day of June, 2019